March 14, 2014

Irish Soda Bread Recipe

So how pumped are we all now that Saint Patrick's Day weekend is upon us?? I mean, even if you're not Irish you can pretend to be and it's perfectly ok! Between the music, festivities, family-time, green beer, and food, I love everything about this holiday. While I can't get enough corned beef and cabbage, one of my favorite St. Patrick's Day treats is Irish soda bread. No one makes it better than my Aunt Betty, who delivers a fresh homemade loaf to my family every year, but this year I tried giving it a whirl myself. And of course, now I'll pass the recipe along to you.


You will need:
2 1/2 cups flour 
3 tbs. softened butter or margarine 
4 tbs. sugar 
1 tsp baking powder 
1 tsp baking soda 
1/2 tsp salt 
3/4 cup buttermilk 
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 375ยบ.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then, add butter and cut it into the mixture using two knives. When the mixture has the consistency of fine crumbs, sir in the buttermilk and raisins.


Knead dough on a floured surface until it is smooth (about 2 minutes). Shape the dough into a 
round loaf and place on a greased cookie sheet. Use a knife to cut an "X" into the top of your loaf. 



Bake for 40 minutes.

I highly recommend serving your Irish soda bread with butter and a hot cup of green tea. 
Have a Happy Saint Patrick's Day everyone!  


P.S. big thanks to my Mom and brothers who joined me in the baking and eating of the bread! 

1 comment: