October 4, 2012

Autumn Hues

I love decorating my home for each changing season, but I find that there is something extra special about Autumn. I think that there's something warming about the activities, scents, and colors that surround this season. There is comfort to be found in the chill in the air that leaves us wanting to bundle up and get cozy. To bring that warmth and comfort into my home I decided to decorate with golden hues.


The inspiration for this project came from a Stonewall Kitchen catalog. One of the pages featured Autumn themed pewter table accessories, and I thought to myself, "Hey, I can do that!" I wanted recreate this look using actual items from nature and gold instead of pewter.


The first thing I did was gather my materials - pine cones, acorns, leaves, nuts, pumpkins, and gourds - all courtesy of Nihtila Farm. I cleaned the dirt off of everything and then set them out to dry in the sun.


Once everything was dry, I laid down newspaper and then spray painted with metallic gold. I let the paint dry for half an hour then flipped the items over and sprayed the other side. I then let the paint dry completely for 2 hours before bringing everything inside.


Finally, it was time to decorate! I placed my new gold items on my mantel and surrounded them with other autumn hues. Then, like I do every other season, I replaced my framed Paper Source calendar pages with something more appropriate for Fall. I think the gold items really warmed up my living room!





   

0 so far:

Post a Comment