February 26, 2014

Kelly's Colorful Baby Shower

I'm so excited to finally be sharing some big, huge, exciting news here today! This April, my sister Kelly is having a baby! Kelly and her husband Joe are going to be a Mom and Dad for the first time which means I'm going to be an auntie for the very first time too! My siblings, parents, and I are all jumping out of our skin with excitement to meet this little one, and April can't come soon enough! What's making the anticipation even greater, is that we don't know whether we'll be meeting a little boy or a little girl. Whichever it is, I can't wait!

A few weeks ago we threw Kelly a colorful-themed baby shower. Since we don't know the gender of the baby, we didn't want to go too pink or too blue, so we decided multicolor decorations would be fun. Before the shower, we had a craft night with the future aunties and future grandmothers and made one of my favorite craft projects for the occasion. Using this tutorial from Shoes Off Please, we made an adorable fringe tassel garland out of tissue paper that served as a backdrop for the gift opening. 

One of my biggest contributions to the shower was the baking of the cakes and cupcakes. Serving 80 guests was a tall order, but 14 layers for 3 colorful cakes, and 30 cupcakes later, I was really happy with how they turned out! I chose to frost the cakes with homemade white buttercream frosting so that the colorful layers inside would be a surprise. Each cake was decorated with a garland of giant pom poms and the cupcakes with mini pom poms that resembled something out of a Dr. Seuss book. Cute, right?


I really loved the favors that we offered all the guests at the shower. My mother made batches upon batches of marshmallow popcorn balls that we added a pop stick to and packaged in cellophane bags wrapped with colorful craft tape. I designed circle tags that read "Ready to Pop!" that I cut out with the amazing 1.5" circle punch tool I got from Michael's, and we stuck a tag on each popcorn pop. They were cute and delicious! 

As an activity at the shower, each guest received a Baby Prediction card where they made guesses about the baby's gender, weight, birth date, etc... and also offered advice for the parents and well wishes for the baby. After the cards were filled out, guests hung them on a string with baby clothespins, using a blue pin if they had guessed "boy" and a pink pin if they had guessed "girl". At the end of the shower it seemed to be pretty 50/50 between boy and girl predictions! Kelly and Joe were blessed to have received so many amazing gifts for their new baby at the shower, and everyone had a really great time. 

And now for some more fun news! After a long break, I've decided to dust off the ole Etsy shop and I'm now offering these prints there. If you are planning a baby shower, these prints would make the perfect addition to the special occasion! I'm also offering an 8x10 art print of a baby and mommy giraffe that would totally look adorable in any nursery. So head on over to my shop and check them out! Hooray for babies!!

2 comments:

  1. This shower is too cute! Bright and cheerful, just what a mama to be needs! Thanks so much for using my tutorial, I love the colors you used! May I share this photo/link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gilit! I loved your tassel garland tutorial and I'm so glad that I found it. Of course you may share :)

      Delete