September 5, 2012

DIY Fabric Mousepad Refashion

Would you believe me if I told you that my brand new mousepad was made out of an old dress? Well, believe it baby! While I loved the polka dot pattern and style of this dress, I had to come to terms with the fact that all good things must come to an end. Simply put, it didn't fit anymore. Rather than let the fun fabric go to waste, I chose to refashion it into a mousepad with the help of some shelf liner. It was really easy to do, and I'm going to tell you how to do it with any fabric you have.


You'll need: fabric / rubbery shelf liner / old mousepad / scissors / sewing machine

First you'll need to determine the size of your new mousepad. I just took a mousepad that I already had and laid it on top of the shelf liner then trimmed the liner to size. To make the sewing process as simple as possible I opted to keep the corners of the liner squared angles rather than curve them. To bulk up your mousepad a little bit cut 2 squares of liner so that you can layer them.


Next, cut your fabric to be about an inch and a half bigger on all sides than the shelf liner.


Lay your fabric down - wrong side facing up. Then, center your 2 squares of shelf liner on top of the fabric. Fold the fabric over the liner to create a finished edge and pin in place.


Last but not least, sew around the edges of your mousepad. I made a double stitch just to be on the safe side.


Now you should have a funky new mousepad! I've been using mine for the past 2 months and it hasn't failed me yet. The grip of the shelf liner really works perfectly.


After I finished my polka dot mousepad, I decided to make a few more using different fabrics. The blue mousepad below is one of my newest creations. Also, just to really show off some serious craftiness... check out the camera strap that I made using the same old dress fabric. It's easy being green when you know how to reuse and refashion!

Via Instagram @CSSpectrum

    

0 so far:

Post a Comment