June 10, 2012

Leftover Egg Whites? What To Do.

Have you ever found a delicious new recipe that called for lots of egg yolks, and you're left wondering what to do with all the leftover egg whites? That's what happened with my ChocCoConut Cheesecake Bites that I made last week. I hate to be wasteful, (and maybe a little tiny bit wanted an excuse to make even more dessert) so I scoured my cabinets looking for any ingredients that I could combine with the egg whites to make something tasty. I also wanted to be able to whip something up fairly quickly since it was getting to be close to my bedtime - it was a work night after all! Here's what I came up with...

INGREDIENTS:
5 egg whites
1 cup shredded coconut
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
2 and 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter an 8x8in pan
2. Beat egg whites and lemon juice on high speed until foamy
3. Add sugar and flour and continue beating on high speed
4. Mix in shredded coconut and beat on low speed
5. Pour into pan and bake for about 20 minutes
    or until edges begin to turn golden brown
6. Let cool on a wire rack before cutting into small squares


I suppose I need to give this recipe a name too, so I'll stay simple and call them 'Coconut Lemon Bars'.  I actually ended up liking these as much as I did the ChocCoConut Cheesecake Bites, and I didn't have to wait until the next day to be able to eat them... BONUS!

    

0 so far:

Post a Comment